Whether for customization or ease of access, there might be times when you want to rename apps on your device. While Android doesn’t provide a built-in way to change app names, we can leverage some third-party apps to do so. In contrast, renaming apps is not typically possible on iPhones due to the tight restrictions of the iOS system. This guide will walk you through the steps for renaming apps, changing display names, and more.
Can you Rename an App?
Yes, you can rename an app on your Android device. However, you need to use a custom launcher like Nova Launcher to achieve this. Here are the steps:
- Download and install Nova Launcher from the Google Play Store
- Set Nova Launcher as your default home
- Long press the app icon you want to rename
- Select ‘Edit’
- Type the new name and hit ‘Done’
How do you Change App Names on Apps?
To change app names on Android, you can use the same steps mentioned above with Nova Launcher. Remember that this change will only appear on your home screen and app drawer, not in system settings or Google Play Store.
How to Rename an App in Android Studio?
If you’re a developer and want to change the app name in Android Studio, follow these steps:
- Open your project in Android Studio
- In the ‘Project’ pane, click on the ‘app’ folder under your project name
- Navigate to ‘res’ > ‘values’ > ‘strings.xml’
- Double-click to open ‘strings.xml’
- Locate the line ‘<string name=”app_name”>Old App Name</string>’
- Replace ‘Old App Name’ with the new name you want
- Save the changes and run your project. The new name will appear as the app name
How do I Change My App Display Name?
To change your app’s display name on your Android device, you need to use a third-party app like Nova Launcher, as outlined in the first question above. This process only changes the name that displays on your home screen, not the official app name in system settings or the Google Play Store.
How do I Change My App Bubble Name?
The process to change your app bubble name (the name displayed when you press and hold an app) is the same as changing the app display name with Nova Launcher.
How to Name an App?
If you’re a developer creating a new app in Android Studio, you can name your app by following these steps:
- Open Android Studio and create a new project
- In the ‘New Project’ dialog box, enter your app name under ‘Name’
- Proceed with the rest of the steps to complete your project setup. Your app will be created with the given name
How do I Remove Icon Names from Android?
Removing icon names from your Android home screen is not a standard feature on Android, but it can be done using certain custom launchers like Nova Launcher:
- Download and install Nova Launcher and set it as your default home
- Go to ‘Nova Settings’
- Tap on ‘Home Screen’
- Tap on ‘Icon Layout’
- Toggle off the switch next to ‘Label’
- Go back to the home screen. The app names should be gone
Can you Rename an App on iPhone?
Unlike Android, iOS doesn’t allow users to rename app icons directly. Only folders can be renamed on iOS.
How do I Change the Name Under my Widgets?
The ability to rename widgets depends on the specific widget or app that provides the widget. Some widgets allow renaming, while others do not. If the widget you’re using allows it, you should find this option in the widget’s own settings.
- Customize your Experience: Take advantage of custom launchers on Android to fully personalize your device
- Not System-Wide: Remember, changing app names using launchers only changes the names on your home screen and app drawer, not in system settings or Google Play Store
- Be Mindful with iOS: On iOS devices, renaming apps isn’t typically possible due to the tight system restrictions
Renaming apps on your mobile device can offer a more personalized and organized mobile experience. While Android allows for more flexibility with the use of third-party launchers, iOS keeps a tighter rein on customization. Always remember, though, these changes are cosmetic and won’t affect the app’s function or its listing in your system settings or app store.
Can I rename apps on Android without a third-party app?
Unfortunately, no. As of now, Android does not provide a built-in feature to rename apps. You need to use a third-party app like Nova Launcher.
Can I rename apps on iPhone?
No, iOS doesn’t provide the option to rename apps. Only folders can be renamed on iPhones.
Can I rename a widget on my Android or iOS device?
This depends on the specific widget or app that provides the widget. Some widgets allow renaming, while others do not.